Bee's Hive

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snowballs and Munchies

Tomorrow I will end the baking for 2008 with cut out sugar cookies. Today I made Walnut Snowballs & Chocolate Peanut Butter Munchies. Both batters are very rich for melt in your mouth cookies.

Snowballs
******
1 cup butter
1/2 cup 10x sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cup flour sifted
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup 10x sugar for coating
( I didn't forget, there are no eggs in this recipe)

Cream it all together and cool for 30 minutes. With floured hands roll small pieces into balls. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 300 for 15 to 20 minutes..until the edges are light tan. While still hot, rub the top of the cookie in the 1/2 cup 10x sugar to coat the top. Cool on a wire rack.



My Munchies flattened a little too much but they still taste wonderful. I know I didn't measure the flour and level it in the cup, so that's what happens when you rush things.

Munchies
******
1 1/2 cups flour sifted
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

*****
Cream Center
********
1/2 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup 10x sugar

**
Mix all ingredients together. In a separate bowl mix the cream center with the back of a spoon, kneed it until it forms a ball.

With floured hands, roll chocolate dough into 32- 1 1/2 inch balls. Roll cream into 32 small balls. With the bottom of a glass dipped into 10x sugar, flatten the chocolate dough. Add a cream ball and wrap the chocolate around it and make it into a ball again. Place them 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet. Again, lightly flatten the balls with the bottom of the glass dipped into 10x sugar. Bake at 350 for about 8 minutes. Let them rest for a minute before transferring them to wire racks.

I've cut one open so you can see the cream center.



I always store them with wax paper inbetween layers so they don't stick to each other.


3 comments:

Donna said...

Holee, I see peanut butter twicw in the munchies recipe. Both with different amounts, so I'm not sure which to use. I could add it twice I suppose and they would be real peanut buttery.

Donna said...

OOps. my bad. I see it's for the centers.

Holee said...

Sorry Donna, sometimes this blog puts the right amount of spaces between subjects and sometimes it doesn't. I had to add some spaces to get it to separate the recipe.