Bee's Hive

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Amish Grace, a disappointment to the Amish

I can't help but wonder why anyone would take a subject like children being shot down as a money maker for TV movies, but to do it to the Amish is beyond imagination. What is even more unsettling is that it was given up to the movie makers by the mennonite neighbors of this Amish Community.

I have only seen the coming attractions advertised on TV but my first impression was the shouting by the Amish woman who acts as one of the mothers of a lost child. I lived among the Lancaster, Pa. Amish for a long time. In fact, I lived in one of their houses. No Amish woman would ever carry on or shout at her husband or Bishop. No matter how hard life is they go about it in a gentle quiet manner, talking out issues among family members and with their church family.

I have seen them handle an entire family being wiped out when a car ran into a buggy, so gentle they handle grief, trusting in God to guide them to do his work and putting the loss and anguish in his hands.

If you watch this movie I hope you realize this was not made with the help of the Amish. The Amish families of this community were clear from the beginning that they wanted to treat this privately, out of the eyes of the public.

Notice in the article I am about to post that no money is going to the Amish or to the children who continue to live with injuries from this event. To violate the Amish in this way surely came through greed. Those who walked through their doors to comfort them took away that "good" by opening the doors for the TV to violate their privacy. I am so saddened by this. They are my friends and were my neighbors. Peace be with them as they deal with yet another attack on their private lives.
http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/249326

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

I am so glad you spoke about this...my mom and I have talked about how things are getting out of hand and that if we could just follow....do unto others as you would have to do unto you.....we'd be alot better off. Salute, girlfriend!

Darlene's Quilts and Stuff said...

Bea it sounds like the authors of the book should have minded their own busines instead of writing the book. People make money on tragedy and it is sickening.
Darlene