Bee's Hive

Friday, June 24, 2011

Be Careful what you wish for.....

or...If it looks too good to be true, it most likely is. These came to me early this morning when Dave arrived home from work.

Dave gets in around midnight. We usually sit and talk with a snack until he winds down from his day. This morning he came in the door and said, "I have good news and bad news".  The good news was he would have a lot of money each pay day. The bad news was the schedule he had been given...10 hour days, 12 days on 2 days off.

It took me right back to my early days in the Beauty business. I would open the beauty shop at 7:30 in the morning and close at 10:30 at night, 6 days a week. Some Saturdays I would open at 5:am because of an early morning wedding.

Dave's early years were spent in the beauty shop. I would bring him in for dinner until bedtime and almost all Saturdays. He often sat under a hair dryer pretending he was going to the moon. This is not a good way to raise a child and I was burnt out in just a few years.

All night, things like Union's and sweat shops went through my mind. Having only 4 days a month off is not a life. What good is thousands of dollars a month when you have no time to enjoy useing it....

The next 30 days will tell the story. Seventy some men went home last night with shattered dreams of a better life knowing that money will not always provide that. When earning it means living in the job. I'm worried. I saw a happy man go to bed broken.

5 comments:

Rita said...

Holee,
I agree with you and I knew I could never keep up the pace. I did this as long as I could and we lived on 1/2 of the income or less. Sometimes that meant rice and beans or eggs and potatoes. We did without tv, kept the lights off as much as possible. Used a dehumidifier and a fan with just a little air conditioning. I know you know about all this but we took it down to bare bones with a leave date in mind. That way we had money when we needed it. I feel bad about your son. He has done everything possible to acquire a good job. Seems to me they give so many hours to keep people from staying. What a way to treat your fellow employees. Sad...

Sherry said...

He needs to keep his resume out there and continue looking for something better!

Sam worked 7 10s for several months...and he was not a "young" man while doing that. And he had a long commute to get to location. (Before we were married...he was about 60.)

Shawkl said...

I prefer the philosophy "That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". Ha! Try to see the good side. Thankful that Dave doesn't have a wife and little kids at home. Perhaps this is the company's way to 'weed out' those that really aren't willing to work...and it will only be for a few months. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him. I did 10 hour weeks for several years...it is exhausting for sure. Dave, take your vitamins every day! Hugs to both of you!

elsie123 said...

I agree with Sherry about keeping his resume out there. Sometimes you get a job easier when you have a job...so this one could serve a good purpose.

Take care...

Rita said...

I've been thinking of you the last few days. I like the other comments for this post. Everyone has something good and important to add. I've been praying for you. I do not know all that is right and good for you but I know God does. I pray for your health often as that is where I feel led when I think of you. Will be keeping you in mind in the days ahead.