Bee's Hive

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Dolls

Maybe you didn't notice in the photo's of my sewing room that I have dolls!  Lots of dolls and doll houses, & odd toys. Most can't be on display because this house doesn't have a room for them. Doll people are strange. They have no idea when or why they started gathering up dolls but they do know there isn't a doll that couldn't come home with them.


The little boots in the last post are for an 18 inch doll. I've done a lot of sewing for Barbie, but since my granddaughters are all past the doll age I didn't really notice the 18 inch doll that has taken over.

 

My new sewing is for a wardrobe for the 18 inch doll for a friends granddaughter in November. Over the past few days I've looked at hundreds of these dolls.

The most popular is the American Girl doll and I don't understand why. She looks like she needs and orthodontist! She has 2 white teeth that draws your eye right to them. She costs well over $100.00, and has no ability to really pose. She's one of those dolls that you sit in a chair and her legs jut out in front of her.

I'll need a doll for a model to fit the clothing. I went to the most likely place looking for one that has been abused..eBay. Even when American girl is wearing green marker eyebrows and has had her hair chopped off to the scalp, her asking price is $40.00. YIKES...so I moved on to Craigslist list and posted a wanted ad. For $5.00 I was able to get one who is missing a leg and fingers and has had a make over with Sharpie pens.
She'll do fine for fitting clothing.

My search for these dolls would not fit a true doll collector unless I formed an opinion and fell in love with at least one of the dolls. Now if I were going to pay over $100.00 it would be for a Kidz & Katz doll. She is jointed all over, elbows, wrists, knees and has a pretty face. She is a little thinner then most of these 18 inch dolls but that doesn't stop her from wearing the clothing.
http://dolldiaries.com/toy-fair-2013-report-kidz-n-cats-dolls/

This would be my choice. She's just too cute! She's on my wish list at Amazon...I shouldn't even think about her but then I wouldn't be a doll collector. I'm telling myself that she's on the list only so I can look at her.
I've already run into problems with the clothing. I started with an easy poncho just to get a look at the finished size. I used a Simplicity pattern and the poncho turned out looking like the cheap clothing you buy at Wal Mart. I think this will be my own little Project Runway. I've pulled all the stitches out and am thinking the poncho needs a collar or hood. I'm looking for a plastic to make a rain coat to go with the boots but a reader gave me an idea! While I'm on that search I might make overall shorts and a shirt so she can garden in the boots! That would also call for a hat and  sunglasses, I've seen them on Amazon...see, I'm really getting into this project...I'll post as I go along.





No comments: